A Professional Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
This easy cookie recipe isn't just simple, we think it's up there with the best chocolate chip cookie recipes around.
Founder & Executive Pastry Chef
FEB 3, 2022
For 25 years, Joanne has served as the Founder and Executive Pastry Chef at Hannahmax Baking. Known for her best in class reputation, Joanne and her baking company have crafted gourmet desserts for fine dining establishments, coffee cafes, hotels, & grocery companies across North America. In 2022, she launched the Cookie Chips® Baking Mix, a cookie mix that's shaking up home baking with its bakery quality results. In From The Pastry Kitchen, she shares her industry earned expertise with the home baking community.
When I first started baking Cookie Chips® (and even at the launch of the Cookie Chips® Baking Mix), it never occurred to me that
the cookie recipe I created could be tweaked for a whole other cookie experience. Cookie Chips® was created as the original snacking cookie. Pop ’em in your mouth like a potato chip. Fun to crunch, but with the sweetness of a cookie. People love the idea of thin crispy snacking cookies. But, there’s a whole other world of cookie lovers, people who like their cookies soft and chewy. Even if you like your cookies crunchy, it’s always nice to have the alternative.
A note on questions like "how to make chocolate chip cookies." 🍪
Determined, I set out to tweak the Cookie Chips® Baking Mix and create the best chewy chocolate chip cookies ever. It took some time and a bit of R&D, but the results are spectacularly delicious. I am so excited that a few ingredient tweaks can completely change what I created as thin and crunchy cookies into thick and chewy cookies.
I loaded the chocolate chip cookies with all kinds of chocolates. While the mix comes packed with mini chocolate chips, a thicker cookie needs chunkier chocolate. I added in larger chocolate chips and even hand chopped chunks. It gives an incredible texture to the cookie.
Chocolate chip was my first conversion of the mix. With the success of converting the crunchy chocolate chip cookie mix into soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies, I applied these same recipe tweaks to my Cinnamon Sugar Cookie Chips® Baking Mix. The results are equally spectacular. That recipe makes the most delicious soft and chewy snickerdoodle cookies.
If you are in the mood for a deliciously nostalgic chocolate chip cookie recipe, dive into the recipe below and enjoy your baking results. I guarantee you will love these semi homemade chocolate chip cookies. Don’t forget, you can bake these successfully with butter or a vegan butter. Our favorite vegan alternative is the soy free baking sticks from Earth Balance.
Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Mixing the dry ingredients with the wet.
These cookies are crazy good. Serve hot.
• All purpose flour, unbleached - ⅓ cup
• Brown sugar - 1 tbsp.
• Granulated sugar - 1 ½ tsp.
• Baking powder - ¾ tsp.
• Chocolate - any assortment of chips & chunks - ¾ cup
• Butter, room temp, unsalted - 5 oz.
• Eggs, large, room temp - 1 ea.
1. Preheat oven to 350 F or 325 F for convection.
2. Place Cookie Chips® mix in a bowl or mixer with paddle attachment. Add flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, & baking powder. Blend together.
3. Add chocolate to dry ingredients and disperse into the mix.
4. Add softened butter to dry ingredients and blend together on low with a mixer until butter fully coats the dry ingredients. Mix will look crumbly.
5. Add egg and blend until a soft dough forms.
6. Scoop dough onto a sheet pan spacing about ½” apart. You can lightly press down the top of the cookie to make larger cookies. Bake for approx. 10 to 13 minutes or until edges are golden brown and the center is still light. Cool and eat.
Pastry Chef Tips & Tricks
1. Scoop cookie dough into balls and refrigerate overnight wrapped in plastic wrap. This will help all the dry ingredients absorb the moisture and enhance the overall flavor of the cookies. The cookies will be a bit thicker than if you bake fresh dough.
2. When using cookie dough that was stored overnight, (see the above tip), remove the pan from the oven and bang it on the counter. This will make the center drop and the edges wrinkle.
3. Brown the butter. Be careful not to burn it. Let this cool before adding it in or you risk melting your chocolate. This will give you a whole new flavor dimension. You can thank me later.
4. For that gooey chocolatey top of your cookie, press in some chunks on top before baking.
5. Add a touch of flakey sea salt on top before baking.
Crispy crunchy cookies in 15 minutes.
Make bakery quality, thin & crispy cookies in 15 minutes. These pastry chef crafted, easy bake Cookie Chips® are so delicious.
Like everything that I bake, this mix uses artisan, non GMO, simple ingredients, and no artificial junk.
Let's get baking!
Joanne Adirim, Founder & Executive Pastry Chef