Summer Citrus Easy Key Lime Pie Dessert Bars
The best key lime pies turned dessert bars. Crunchy Cookie Chips® crust and topped with fresh whipped cream.
Founder & Executive Pastry Chef
MAR 25, 2022
For 25 years, Joanne has served as the Founder and Executive Pastry Chef at Hannahmax Baking. Known for her best in class reputation, Joanne and her baking company have crafted gourmet desserts for fine dining establishments, coffee cafes, hotels, & grocery companies across North America. In 2022, she launched the Cookie Chips® Baking Mix, a cookie mix that's shaking up home baking with its bakery quality results. In From The Pastry Kitchen, she shares her industry earned expertise with the home baking community.
One of the most popular desserts in my wholesale bakery was our Key Lime Pie topped with freshly whipped cream.
What is a Key Lime Pie?
HannahMax Baking Individual Key Lime Pie
topped with fresh whipped cream and lime garnish
The Best Key Lime Pie Dessert Bars Recipe
Crunchy Pie Crust
• Cookie Chips® Baking Mix | Chocolate Chip, baked & crushed - 1 bag.
• Unsalted butter, melted - 4 tbsp or 2 oz.
The Creamy Key Lime Filling
• Egg yolks - 12 ea or 6 ¾ oz.
• Key lime or lime juice - 12 fl oz.
• Lime zest - from one whole lime.
• Sweetened condensed milk - 28 fl oz.
Classic Key Lime Pie Topping
• Heavy whipping cream - 1 cup.
• Granulated or powdered sugar - 2 tbsp (or more to taste).
• Lime zest
1. In a 9x9 baking pan spray bottom and sides with pan spray and insert a small piece of parchment paper on the bottom.
2. Preheat oven to 350° F. (325° F if using a convection oven.)
3. Blend crushed Cookie Chips® with melted butter.
4. Place cookie crumbs into the pan and press down until it is evenly pressed around the entire bottom of the pan.
5. Bake the crust for 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
6. While the crust is baking, place egg yolks into a mixer with the whip attachment. Whip eggs on high until they are tripled in volume.
7. Add the condensed milk and continue whipping on high speed for 2 minutes.
8. Blend the lime zest with the lime juice and with the mixer running on low, pour in the juice. Mix until evenly combined.
9. Pour filling into the pan with the pre-baked crust. Only pour in enough to reach ¾’s of the way up the sides of the pan. You may have a little filling leftover you can use for another mini pie.
10. Bake for 18-20 minutes until set and still a little jiggly.
10. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight.
Cut and Decorate
1. Remove dessert bars from the pan. The best way to do this is to release the sides by using a knife, and scraping around the edges. Then, place the pan on a hot surface (over the stove burner), briefly to warm the bottom. Flip the pan over onto a cake board or parchment lined plate or sheet pan. Flip back up. Don’t worry if the top of your dessert bars are a bit marred. You are going to decorate over this.
2. Use a knife and mark where you want to cut your bars.
3. Heat your knife over a fire stove or you can run your knife in hot water until very hot. Immediately, cut the bars, cleaning the knife between cuts and reheating.
4. Place whipped cream and sugar in a mixer with whip attachment and whip cream firmly.
5. Using a pastry bag with a decorative tip, pipe filling over each dessert bar decoratively and sprinkle with lime zest.
1. Crush the Cookie Chips® by placing them in a resealable Ziploc bag and pounding it with a rolling pin or the palm of your hand.
2. If you don’t have a pastry bag, you can spread the whip cream over the top of the key lime pie dessert bars BEFORE cutting, then follow the cutting procedures above. Sprinkle lime zest on each bar after cutting.
Crispy crunchy cookies in 15 minutes.
Make bakery quality, thin & crispy cookies in 15 minutes. These pastry chef crafted, easy bake Cookie Chips® are so delicious.
Like everything that I bake, this mix uses artisan, non GMO, simple ingredients, and no artificial junk.
Let's get baking!
Joanne Adirim, Founder & Executive Pastry Chef